Rice paper bourekas
All my burekas lover’s, This recipe is for you.
Healthier version you can enjoy at any day of the week :)
Ingredients: ( approximately 10 boureks )
- mini rice paper I get mine from Amazon ( any will work )
- Vegan stuffing : 2 cups chopped spinach, 2 cups chopped leeks, 2 tbs zaatar tahini & punch of salt
- Cheese stuffing: 2 cups shredded cheese & 2 tbs pesto tahini
- 1 Egg ( for egg wash on top )
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- preheat Oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- vegan stuffing: In a medium bowl, mix spinach , leek & zaatar tahini
- For cheese lover stuffing : mix in a separate mixing bowl and of your favorite shredded with pesto tahini
- Fill a large bowl that can fit the rice paper with water. Drizzle a little oil, the size of the rice paper, on the working surface.
- Soak rice paper, one at a time, in water for 20-30 seconds, until playable. Shake water off and place on drizzled oil on the working surface. Put a spoonful of the stuffing : veggies or the Cheese Filling along the middle of the rice paper & Fold in half. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the rice papers.
- Use a fork to gently poke holes at the top of each burekas. This will prevent it from exploding or leaking the filling in the oven. Put egg yolk in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of oil and mix. Use pastry brush to brush burekas with egg, then sprinkle with sesame ( if you don’t eat eggs, try butter or coconut oil, olive oil )
- Bake for 20 minutes until burekas are light golden color. Let cool for a few and enjoy this heavenly crunchy pastry