- 2 cans of 15oz ( 454g ) organic chickpeas - drained and very important keep the chickpeas water !!! You’ll need them to adjust consistency !
- 2- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 Bunch of parsley
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup garbanzo fava flour
- Spices : salt, cumin, smoked paprika
- baking spray recommended and must have parchment paper !
- Preheat the oven to 375f
- Add the canned chickpeas, spinach, parsley, garlic and spices to a food processor the Israeli secret for falafel is lots of cumin!!! So be generous with the cumin !! And sprinkle of smoked paprika and salt
- Add 1/2 cup of the chickpeas water and 1/4 cup of garbanzo flour and Mix until combined. The mixture should stick together enough to form patties, if it doesn't add more chickpea flour.
- Pass the mixture into a medium size mixing bowl ( you can try the mixture and adjust taste if needed) I add more cumin and salt
- Use a ring mold ( for perfect round shape) or by a regular spoon to scoop the falafel burger on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Press them a bit flatter and spray them with olive oil.
- Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes, carefully flipping them with a spatula after 20 minutes. They should be crispy on the outside and soft but not mushy on the inside. Be carful not to dry them as well :) remember you can always try them out , all ingredients are safe!
- I serve my burger on thin slim ( zero carb bun ) with my curry tahini as a spread, you can find the recipe on my website along with many other types of tahini: spicy tahini, green tahini etc .... no mayonnaise needed!!
- my burger topping : butter lettuce, avocado, spicy pepper , enjoy
- I used chickpeas from the can because real life call for fast recipes, if you plan to make falafel in advance o would always recommend using real chickpeas, it will require soaking them for 12 hours in salty water with baking soda
- You can make the mixture in advance and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, i had to prep it in the morning and I baked them early afternoon and it was delicious!
- The mixture is easier to use if you can refrigerate for 30 min before you scoop the falafel balls ,
- The spinach is my twist, I was trying to hide it as my both kids won’t eat spinach never!!! They both loved it and couldn’t taste it, if you are not a spinach lover you can replace it for more parsley, dill or cilantro I hope you Enjoy it as much as my family did :)